The system for measuring electrophysiological reactions of phyto-objects is based on CYBRES MU module and intended for analysing and monitoring responses of phyto-objects to external stimuli. The system measures (depending on used electrodes in basic and advanced versions):
- Biopotentials (2 channels, Ag99 needles), used for:
- measuring fast electrical response to different stimuli
- tracking periodical activities of the plant
- interations with plants based on e.g. mechanical or thermal stimuli
- other bio-electric approaches
- Tissue impedance sensors (2 channels, Ag99 needles), used for:
- measuring conductivity of organic tissues at different frequencies
- frequency shift in tissue response
- electrochemical sap flow measurements
- electrical stimulation
- other ionic interfaces to organic/living materials/objects
- Environmental parameters: 3D accelerometer/magnetometer, EM power meter (450kHz-2.5GHz), air temperature and pressure
- Supported external sensors: CO2, O2, ion-selective electrodes, any sensors with I2C interface
Functions with two channels enable performing high-resolution differential measurement. Real-time data (with time stamps) can be recorded into the internal flash memory (optional), transmitted via USB or (with optional mini PC in pro-version) are accesible via WiFi/Ethernet/Bluetooth on any mobile device/PC. Data can be written as html-pages for the online data plot in internet. The needle- or surface- electrodes are used to receive signals from plants. The system is fully autonomous and can operate without user intervention.
In addition to phytosensing, the device can also perform phytoactuation, i.e. to execute real-time data processing and decision making for operating different actuators. This functionality is useful for electrical or light stimulation of plants (blue/red light stimulation), optimizing watering and lighting mode, conducting fully autonomous experiments and development of complex feedback-based and adaptive scenarios with bio-hybrid systems. It possesses built-in semiconductor relays (low power switches) e.g. for RGB LEDs or water pumps, and can actuate any external USB relays. The system implements dynamical mapping between embedded signal detectors, numerical processors and actuators with reactive, probabilistic and homeostatic decision mechanisms. The phytosensor is a part of CYBRES bio-hybrid interface devices.
This system is designed for professional and amateur purposes, as a tool for biological laboratories, and for plant enthusiasts. In the professional use this system can be employed to study the electrical reaction of plants, as phyto- or bio-sensors, in the bio-hybrid and robotic systems, for systems of mixed reality, smart home applications, for biotechnological processes based on phyto-objects, for artistic installations with interaction with plants, various entertainment systems. Additional algorithms for data analysis and actuation can be easily implemented with the provided script language. In amateur applications the system has a variety of potential usages, for example, in school or university courses on biology, for studying ‘the electrical language of plants’, or to carry out experiments in the context of Cleve Backster and Peter Tompkins works with the ‘Secret life of plants’.
In the minimal version, users receive access to all electrophysiological functions, can record, analyse and perform phytoactuation based on electrical responces. There are several pre-programmed behaviours such as ‘singing plants’ or ‘talking plants’ – converter of biosignal to music and speech. Users can flexibly program reactions and voice dialogue. Plants are very sensitive to a touch and ‘presence’ of a person, maybe that the flower will be able to recognize you and ‘express a joy’ about your arrival.
The delivering set includes:
- The MU3.4 module with integrated sensors (3D accelerometer/magnetometer, EM power meter (450kHz-2.5GHz), air pressure) and USB 2.0 connectivity;
- Differential Bio-potential/tissue-conductivity electrodes (material Ag99);
- Short user manual in different languages;
- Full user manual;
- Plastic case for measurement equipment.
- Stainless steel electrodes for trees/shrubs;
- IP65/66 water protected package for outdoor applications;
- USB server for WiFi/Etherner connectivity without PC;
- Mini-PC with Intel Celeron J4125 (Win10 PRO OS) for advanced connectivity for long-term autonomous operation;
- USB relay for switching 110/220V load (motors, lamp, pumps, etc.).
In all configurations, the device provides access to all obtained data and allows their algorithmic, mathematical and statistical analysis. This mode is useful for optimization of plant’s productive functionality, for using plants as biosensors, including weak signals, integration into systems of mixed reality, smart home applications, measuring human psycho-emotional influences and unconventional instrumental detectors, as well as for scientific research of the world of plants. In particular, it can be used to explore the leanring and adaptation processes in vegetable and bio-hybrid systems based on plants.